I am a System Administrator and Software Developer with experience installing and managing network firewalls, hypervisors, Active Directory domains, and Linux servers. I have deployed and maintained devices on large enterprise networks and developed Java software to automated critical network functions. I'm reliable, curious, honest, respectful, determined, and organized. I have meticulous attention to detail, and I work well with others.
Information Technology & Services Consultant - Student AssistantCalifornia State University, Sacramento
September 2015 - Present
I work part-time at my University's IT Department where I provide tech support to faculty and staff. I also manage network infrastructures such as managed switches, servers, uninterruptable power supplies, CCTV cameras, hypervisors, and virtual machines. I also frequently create Windows 10 images to deploy in computer labs and on faculty computers using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and Symantec Ghost. Additionally, I help manage and maintain multiple computer labs and virtual servers that are running on Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, and Proxmox.
- Interfaced with the University's Office of Information Security to prevent cyber attacks and remove malware installed on Faculty computers.
- Provided general IT support and advice to University Faculty and Staff.
- Customized and Syspreped Windows operating systems with Windows Deployment Center and Microsoft Deployment Tools for computer labs and faculty computers.
- Deployed 200+ Windows and Mac computers located in multiple buildings around the campus and managed them with Symantec Altiris and KACE.
- Installed and managed Sophos XG Firewalls and pfSense firewalls for customized network configurations and increased network security for self-hosted applications.
- Installed and maintained Hyper-V, ESXi, and Proxmox hypervisors that were located on-site and in the University's data center that hosted mission-critical applications.
- Installed, repaired, and upgraded Dell PowerEdge servers to modernize department network resources and minimize downtime for students and faculty.
- Managed permissions on University network shares for faculty and staff members.
- Created encrypted backups of Windows and Linux servers with Veeam backup software to prevent data loss of faculty and student data.
- Generated quotes from Dell Premiere and additional 3rd party vendors for networking devices and equipment.
- Installed and managed a Windows-based Active Directory domain that stored student and faculty user profiles that were used in the computer labs we managed.
- Created and enforced Group Policies for Microsoft Active Directory joined computers.
- Experience scanning and remediating server vulnerabilities with Qualys vulnerability scanner.
- Installed and managed APC uninterruptible power supply units to protect University-owned servers and network equipment from unexpected power outages.
- Resolved support tickets submitted by University Faculty and Staff through ServiceNow.
- Implemented a software-defined wide area network (SDWAN) solution from ZeroTier for secure remote network access to servers and internal applications.
- Installed, updated, and secured Windows and Linux servers to maintain University IT and cybersecurity requirements.
System AdministratorDelta Bearing & Supply
March 2014 - Present
I work part-time at my family's small business managing the company's digital infrastructure. My responsibilities included administering servers, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, hypervisors, network-attached storage, managed PoE switches, CCTV equipment, uninterruptible power supplies, printers, repairing/upgrading PCs, and maintaining the company's WordPress website.
- Installed and managed pfSense Firewalls to ensure smooth network operations.
- Expanded the company's network from one computer and a WiFi router to a fully populated 42U server rack with multiple employee workstations and network printers.
- Configured Snort and Suricata intrusion detection systems in pfSense network firewalls to block cyber attacks originating from WAN and LAN connections.
- Installed local DNS servers and configured them to block advertisements, software telemetry data, and malicious domains which protected user privacy and prevented cyber attacks.
- Deployed open source software such as Syncthing, FreeNAS, and Nextcloud to meet file storage and backup requirements the company had.
- Created, repaired, and ran ethernet cables for network switches and servers.
- Installed and managed multiple Windows and SAMBA-based Active Directory domain controllers that provided centralized user management and Group Policy administration.
- Created virtual machines with VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Proxmox to reduce hardware and cooling costs associated with the company's self-hosted applications.
- Deployed, updated, and secured Windows and Linux servers, managed switches, and firewalls to modernize and secure the company's network resources.
- Provided general IT support and advice to company employees.
- Developed Java-based software to automate critical network functions and monitor network appliances for downtime and security-related events.
- Experience interfacing with Law Enforcement officials that have requested CCTV footage.
- Installed and managed APC uninterruptible power supply units to protect network infrastructure in the event of an unexpected power outage.
- Created distributed Linux and Windows server backups with Veeam backup software to fulfill our disaster recovery plan requirements and protect the company against data loss.
- Managed Intuit Quickbooks data files that were stored on secure network shares.
- Deployed and remotely managed and updated Dell PowerEdge servers through iDRACs during planned network outages.
- Experience updating firmware and replacing fans for managed network switches to meet cybersecurity requirements and extend the lifespan of network equipment.
- Managing a WordPress website and WooCommerce web store to maintain Company's online presence, SEO ranking, and customer-facing content.
- Installed and maintained 10+ CCTV cameras & various security equipment to meet the company's physical security requirements.
WordPress DeveloperDevSpace Hosting - Personal Project
February 2013 - July 2018
I developed an online software as a service application called DevSpace Hosting that was powered by WordPress multisite. It allowed users to create a website, blog, or web store within minutes without writing a single line of code. Throughout the development process, I installed, configured, and secured Linux virtual private servers. I also gained experience with Google SEO, Amazon Web Services S3, Cloudflare, Lets Encrypt SSL/TLS certificates, and various infrastructure as a service cloud applications.
- Customized WordPress themes to match client website requirements.
- Installed and configured Amazon Web Services S3 for user file storage.
- Generated and installed Lets Encrypt TLS/SSL certificates to ensure connections to the network were encrypted with Military Grade 256 bit encryption.
- Implemented Cloudflare content delivery network + security features to secure network access, block malicious IPs, and reduce the load on the server by caching static files.
- Wrote tutorial & support articles for users who created websites on the network.
- Managed and optimized SEO ranking through the Google Search Console.
- Submitted websites to Google, Bing, and Yandex for indexing and crawling.
- Experience with WordPress security and server hardening for data security compliance.
- Managed and deployed Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS) applications such as Digital Ocean, Scaleway, Linode, Amazon Web Services, and Microsoft Azure to deliver a customized cloud solution while balancing cost.
BSc, Computer ScienceCalifornia State University, Sacramento
A full-time degree program that provides technical experience as well as instruction in computing fundamentals and advanced topics in areas such as computer architecture, software engineering, database management, computer graphics, networking, computing theory, data structures, and algorithms.
- Highly skilled in creating WordPress websites, and Java programs.
- Passionate about Server Virtualization (ESXi, Hyper-V, Xen Server), Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, IT Support, and Cable Management.
- Experienced with Active Directory, RAID Arrays, Endpoint Management Software (Altiris, Goverlan) Windows Server, Linux Servers (Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Arch), Dell PowerEdge Servers, Web Hosting (HTML & WordPress websites, SAAS Applications), IAAS Applications (DigitalOcean, Amazon Web Services, Scaleway), Faronics Deep Freeze PC Deployment Solutions (Windows Deployment Services, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and Symantec Ghost). Veeam Backup & Replication (Backing up physical/virtual Windows and Linux servers).
- Proficient with Batch & PowerShell scripting, Managed Switches, and MySQL.
- Skilled in creating System Documentation, HTML Websites, Virtual Machines, and Servers
- Knowledgeable about Docker, Embedded Systems, Firewalls (pfSense, Sophos, Untangle), Open Source Software, CCTV Cameras (IP & analog systems), FreeNAS.
Technical Support — ExpertPerforming software, hardware, and network operations.
Full Results: Expert - January 2021
Programming Fundamentals — Highly ProficientDesigned by engineering managers and real-world employers, this test gives you hard data points to evaluate technical competency.
Full Results: Highly Proficient - January 2021
Technical Support: Customer Situations — ProficientResponding to technical support situations with sensitivity.
Full Results: Proficient - January 2021
First Aid — Highly ProficientMeasures the ability to treat common medical emergencies in various environments.
Full Results: Highly Proficient - January 2021
Java — Highly ProficientDesigned by engineering managers & real-world employers, this Java test evaluates general technical competency.
Full Results: Highly Proficient - January 2021
Project Timeline Management — ProficientMeasures the ability to prioritize tasks and to modify schedules and staff assignments to achieve milestones.
Full Results: Proficient - February 2021